Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Mods and Farkles 4: Wired for Sound

Wired For Sound


When I bought my first FJR (I had two) there were mutterings every time I took wifey for a ride. In contemplation of long trips to come, I decided that some on-road entertainment would increase her enjoyment of what was really me doing my thing. So I bought a Starcom1 intercom system with the intent of using it so that we could listen to stuff on my iPod together. Audible provided the books and to my delight, it transformed the missus's disposition to riding. The ability to chat was also a boon. No, she does not jabber away at me, and we have had some of our best and deepest conversations while riding. I guess it helps when I am in control and I don't have to look her in the eye!

As an avid listener of podcasts and audio books, this sound system has become a vital component of my riding enjoyment. Before I go on any long ride I make sure I have plenty on my iPhone to listen to.  It does not distract me and I am very comfortable listening to it even when riding in tricky conditions. I don't get too many phone calls but when I do, most people can't believe that I am riding (often at speed) on the bike. It's pretty good.

I have stuck with Starcom1 (I now have a newer, more sophisticated model) as opposed to the more popular bluetooth products even though there is a cable tethering you to the bike. I tested a Sena  'state of the art' (2012) bluetooth intercom and found it's output too low and battery life too short for me when I was listening to my iPhone all day. The Starcom1 is dead-reliable and the sound output is sufficient for me to listen in comfort with my Earmold earplugs in place, which I always ride with.

My son Matt, is also a keen rider and based on my experience of my Starcom1, bought his own. We have now added 2-way radios so that we can talk to each other while on the move. Really handy.
I have not opted for the bluetooth to mobile phone option available from Starcom1. Long before this device came out, I had wired up a control switch that is the functional equivalent of the button on the iPhone headphone, which I use to stop and start the audio, do a voice activated call etc. Very useful. I would have to forego this functionality and the pillion connection to use the Starcom1 bluetooth interface. Nah.. not worth it. Besides this bluetooth thing is ~$150 and my switch and cabling cost me about $7.
Flimsy looking button on right is the control switch to start and stop the audio. Button just below the starter button
is the Starcom Push-to-Talk for the 2 Way radio.

Mounting

A key part of making this system work well is the physical installation. Apart from mounting the control switch, there are cables that go from the helmet to the Starcom1 box, so you need to set things up so that you can conveniently plug in when you get on and unplug when you leave the bike. Getting all the wiring for this done on your bike is quite a business if you want to do it properly., On the Multistrada it requires the removal of the fairing and tank shrouds to get the cables neatly into place whilst steering clear of the ignition system. Otherwise you get annoying noise coming through.
The Starcom1 box wrapped in foam with all cables connected......
Each of the cables (other than the power cord) has to be threaded through and secured to the bike, to end up somewhere else.

Stracom1 box  conveniently tucked (jammed in really) away inside the right hand side cover. Quite secure and immobile.
Starcom1 provide panel mount, weather protected sockets which I used to terminate the headphone cables neatly on the bike. I made a little bracket out of 3mm aluminium to mount my Garmin 660 GPS and mounted the Starcom1 socket in this. For the pillion, Ducati provide power sockets on either side of the frame about 9 inches above and behind the footpeg. I used this to mount the plug for the pillion's cable. Easy peasy.
GPS mount bracket showing Starcom1 plug for the headhpone lead
 
Plug for pillion cable attached to power point (apologies for the rubbish exposure)

Radio's

The Starcom1 has the capacity to interconnect to a 2-way radio. The radio needs to be accessible and stand vertical. A simple mount made from ubiquitous 3mm aluminium attached to the clutch lever mount does the job.

Bracket uses the radios belt clip and a strip of velcro to secure it. Very sturdy.
All in all, my sound installation is something I really enjoy. It works reliably and I wouldn't dream of riding without it.

Update 2018

Time to move on. I have decommissioned and sold  the Starcom1 system. There was no problem but there is a specific Sena unit for the new Schuberth helmet that I am using. It integrates with the helmet extremely well. Battery life is 10 hours, sound quality is very good and there is the bonus of bike to bike communication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment